Highlandlake Pioneer Cemetery, Berthoud
About Highlandlake Pioneer Cemetery, Berthoud
In early 1883, several residents of the rapidly growing hamlet of Highlandlake, formed the Highlandlake Cemetery Association. Within weeks they purchased one and a half acres of high ground west of the lake from C. A. Pound. This parcel also included an older family burial ground dating to 1878. The cemetery association dissolved in 1906. However, sporadic burials continued until the late 1940s.
Descendants of L. C. Mead kept the records safe, adding to them as best they could. In the late 1990s, a great grandson of L. C. Mead obtained the cemetery deed from Weld County. In 2001, he donated the land to Historic Highlandlake, Inc. Several years later, the Mead/Jensen family donated all of the remaining cemetery records, including the original plot maps, cemetery record book, secretary minutes, transcriptions, and other miscellaneous records.
Today, Historic Highlandlake maintains the Pioneer cemetery with the help of volunteers and a growing perpetual maintenance fund.
524 W. 66th St, Loveland, CO 80538